Tuesday, June 2, 2009

God bless this little surfer



So, Mickey's baptism didn't go just exactly as planned. Originally, I planned to have him baptized at my church, St. Thomas the Apostle. But, when I heard Michelle had been making plans to have Corey baptized at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Tempe, I thought it'd be nice to have the boys' ceremonies be together. After a million phone calls I'd finally conceded that it wasn't going to work. Basically, OLMC needed a letter from my priest saying we were prepared to have Mickey baptized and could do it there, and my church said our priest wouldn't be available to write such a letter until the day after the ceremony was to take place. This is the short version. The long version involves me using all the profanity I felt comfortable with, while talking about a blessed sacrament. It was so frustrating.
So, we went to OLMC on that Sunday, April 19th, expecting only to watch our nephew, Corey be baptized. As luck would have it, Mickey was more underdressed for mass that day than he's ever been. Usually I play dress up and put him in little denim collared shirts and khakis or something of the sort. This day was laundry day and it was supposed to be pretty hot, so I went with shorts and a tiki shirt.
When we were there the priest brought the document he'd prepared and when I explained that I couldn't get the letter from my parish in time, he said it was no problem. We'd take care of that part later.
I might have declined. After all, we had chosen Daniel, Eric and Marissa as Mickey's Godparents, and Eric and Marissa weren't even there. I told them not to worry about coming since I didn't think Mickey would be baptized.
On the other hand, I liked the idea of not making a huge event of the baptism. While being baptized is a very big deal, I didn't feel the event needed to be. After all, it's not like it made a difference to Mickey. And since Ryan and Eric aren't Catholic, I didn't want them to feel at all uncomfortable being a part of the whole mass and all.
It just seemed simple, and I was happy to have simple.

That being said, Mickey's "special baptism outfit" was not one passed down to him from his father's baptism (as was Corey's). However, I do think Mickey's outfit should be saved and passed along to his son - if only to be worn at the after-party. ;)









The following weekend we had our own little baptism party for Mickey (the one following the ceremony was really for Corey). We celebrated over at my mom and dad's and ALL the Godparents were there!


I took the above image and cut and pasted so that everyone was close enough to fit in a frame that Erin gave Mickey.


You'd be more impressed at what a good job I did if it didn't look so funny. I think it looks out of proportion or something - like Dan and Eric are giants compared to Marissa.
But that wasn't me. The proportion is correct! Marissa's just that little compared to those guys!

2 comments:

  1. no way!! that picture turned out awesome!! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute story. Can I just say your family is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete