It's the quiet 20 minutes of the day. Not that there's always a whole twenty minutes, sometimes there's not even one. But, once there was like an hour and a half. Anyway, as I type, everyone in my family is sleeping (Mickey, while he eats). Ryan had a doctor's appointment at 8:00, the first of the day so he wouldn't make it into work at some ridiculous hour, and he finally got out of there at noon. So, he took his first sick day and came home to make salads and eat ice cream. (We believe in a balance between healthy and unhealthy. :) Ryan's actual excuse for the ice cream (which he never normally eats) was to say any time he got a shot as a kid his mom got him ice cream. And, since he got a flu shot yesterday and poked for blood today, he figured he deserved it. I only had like three bites and will probably go over on my Weight Watchers points. Stupid deliciousness being unhealthy!
Speaking of WW, I'm a little torked. I've supposedly lost 15 pounds, only I look no different, I feel no different and I haven't gone down in clothes sizes. What's the deal?! I didn't expect to look like Barbie or anything, but nothing??? Oh well. I've decided I'm going to look forward to the day I drop two sizes out of nowhere instead of being discouraged. (All of this rambling is not to entice pity compliments about how you can "totally tell" when you see me; it's just rambling...)
The kids, as always, are doing great. Brooklynn is SO two and a half. At Marissa's 30th birthday party I was talking to a mom of an almost two year old. She said her daughter was in the NO stage. (Memories......) Brooklynn has passed that (not that defiance is no longer a part of her current personality, just that the word NO itself has lost its luster). She's full-boar into WHY mode. I know most of you know this. You've heard it. Marissa says it gets even more difficult/tricky when they ACTUALLY want to KNOW why. For Brook it's just a response to words spoken around her.
"Ryan, will you put bread on the shopping list?"
Why?
"Brooklynn, watch out or you'll trip on that cord!)
Why?
But 'Riss says Payson wants to know things like, why do we believe that God exists. And apparently at four he's actually looking for rationale. If Brooklynn happened upon that question I could easily suffice her with, "Because pink is your favorite color." I know it makes no sense, but she's not looking for a real response. She just wants to be having a conversation. Her response to ANYthing I say, well-thought out and articulate or not, is WHY? Payson apparently has other responses and reactions to Marissa's explanations.
Scary.
Four sounds scary.
Meanwhile, here's a few of those two-isms that I love so much. (Mom's always said these are the things you write down in the baby book. I guess blogging is the baby book of the twenty-first century, cuz I'm sure as heck not going to pull out that thing every time something funny happens, but a computer's always handy!)
The latest two-isms:
* Wide-eyed Brooklynn comes running up to me, holding a decorative glass angel that we keep high up on the piano. "That angel not listen her daddy!"
I still have no idea how the angel got down, or what initiated B's reaction. Some imaginary scene she witnessed, I guess.
* She's started taking random objects and referring to them as people (or dogs - as I said before, Sassy was once a pile of necklaces). Anyway, she had two shirts and one was apparently Hannah (her cousin, in Portland) and one was Dorn (her most prominent imaginary friend. You may recall Dorn has pink hair). Anyway, she introduces me to them and then asks me to get my camera to "take picture them". As I walked over to get it I see her nuzzling one shirt whispering, "You so 'dorable!"
* Over the weekend we were all at Mom and Dad's. Mickey was in the swing and started letting me know he was done. Brooklynn yelled, Mommy, Mickey fussin'! And by the time I was walking up she was saying, "It's okay, Mickey, Mommy here, Daddy here, Bookynn here. Everything's okay. Nana, Boppa both love you so don't worry, Mickey." Cute.
* Then, yesterday, I took this toy away that Ryan had bought for her. (She'd been really good when he went to get his flu shot and he said she could pick out a toy. Any mom would have meant, in the 49-99 cent range, are ya with me? Nope! She comes home with a little girl makeup kit. The thing has five layers of various glosses and glitters!) It began on her face (a dazzling display) but ended up as fingerpaint on our coffee table. (PS- Ryan was sitting literally two feet from her when this happened. I have no idea how. I will give him the benefit of the doubt by suggesting that perhaps the movie he was then watching was at the climax and he had somehow been under the impression that our pause button was broken.) But, I digress. I said she couldn't play with the makeup anymore. She made no expression, responded with no words. She walked directly over to her play phone, dialed and said, "Nana, Mommy is being so mean to me right now." Yeah, like Nana's on her side for that one! :)
Monday, November 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






How has she already learned to play the grandma card??? I didn't think that would come until much later... How quickly they grow up...
ReplyDeleteAt least she's just comforting Mickey verbally now instead of picking him up and carrying him across your parents' tile floor!
I love, love, LOVE these stories!
'I see her nuzzling one shirt whispering, "You so 'dorable!"'
ReplyDeleteI almost fell out of my chair laughing.