It's off to work I go!
Looks like I'm thrilled about it, based on the exclamation points, but really that was more because my "catchy" title seemed to be incomplete without them. Actually, I'm a little on the fence about my feelings, and to be completely honest, leaning toward fear and loathing. I was hired as an Academic Counselor for Grand Canyon University's education department. Ryan's job, now, is to sell the University's online programs (not a hard sell, considering their reputation, but people will give any excuse to put off school), and he then gets them started and monitors their progress for their first eleven weeks. My job is to assist with anything they need in terms of setting up a schedule, problems with classes, etc. through to graduation. The job description is not the reason for my fear and loathing. Although I've only had a week of training, I feel confident enough in my ability to speak to people and to organize and work hard that I cannot see this job challenging me beyond my capabilities. I have that anxious twitter for the unexpected, but I'm not scared. The fear and loathing come in because my going back to work means I will no longer be able to spend every day with my beautiful children. Just writing these words, letting them out, is bringing tears to my eyes.
I really don't deserve to cry over such a thing. I have been so blessed. I haven't worked a full-time job since just before I delivered Brooklynn. When I worked part-time as a Reading Interventionist it wasn't until Brooklynn was a year and a half and even then it was only four hours a day. This is a full eight hours, plus lunch and a RIDICULOUS drive:
[Mapquest says it's 31 miles. According to them the drive is like 37 minutes. Apparently they don't account for rush hour congestion in huge metropolitan cities.]
I'm going to be gone for close to eleven hours from my children, every day! I can't imagine how that is going to feel. Ugh.
Okay, let me regroup.
Believe it or not, through all my ranting, there is much good in my going back to work. I'm sharing these things more for myself to reread if I need it than for any of you, so feel free to find another post with fun pictures. I won't be offended.
1. The reason I need to go to work and Ryan stay home is that real estate is picking up enough that he needs to devote more time to his clients (but not enough that we can be fully supported on his varying income). It's much easier to do this from home, especially with the occasional help from my mom. Anyway, my point is two-fold good: real estate is picking up, and RYAN will be home with the kids. They get time with their dad that most kids don't, and that's pretty cool - especially considering all the wonderful things Ryan has to offer as a daddy.
2. When Ry was employed with GCU, he could get a free education and my Masters was 50% off - a great deal, except that the other 50% was still too much for us to afford. With me as the employee, his Bachelors is still free, but now finishing my Masters is free as well.
3. Working for GCU allows me the opportunity to make connections within a prestigious University so that, God willing, they might help in acquiring an online teaching job in a few years. Such a position would allow me to work from home while giving me enough time (since the kids will then be in school), to go to PA school. There are a lot of ifs in here, but it's a long-term goal. Those'll be worked out as they come up.
There's probably more reasons that leaving home to work will be a good thing, but it's taken all of my effort to come up with these, so they'll have to suffice.
Sunday, August 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






Oh, C! I am so proud of you for going back to work. You have done a great job with your kids with the time you have had with them. Being able to have R stay home is such a great thing, for both him and the kids. Going to work will be a great opportunity to make new friends and to find yourself outside of diapers and laundry. The benefits of education are outstanding and will help you reach your ultimate goal of being a PA.....and when you do, I will be extremely jealous! ;)
ReplyDeleteI know I have probably opened my big mouth about my personal issues with going back to work (as I obviously don't want to), but I want you to know I completely support you in your new role as Working Mama. I know it will be fine. And I am always here to reassure that things will work out for the best in the end.
Oh yeah, and if it helps, I will drive over to your house and take cell pics of your babies to send you throughout the day. :)
Oh Christine big hugs to you! I didn't know you wanted to go to PA school! You're talking Physician Assistant right? If so then YAY, John can be of so much help in this :). You'll reach your goals, don't worry. I just feel for you going back to work. Don't worry though, I think once you start the job and get back into the routine of things you'll be okay. Take care! This is your cousin Amy by the way. This blog comment thing is a pain...
ReplyDeleteI hope you like it there! That is where Frank and I graduated from and we both really liked it there. Since I only live like minutes away from there we should meet for lunch!
ReplyDeleteBig hugs! I know it will be hard to be away from your kids, but they are lucky to get to be with their dad! And hopefully you can get some school out of the way and real estate will pick up so that you can be at home with them again!
ReplyDeleteI love you and I know things will work out well. - Dad
ReplyDeleteI know how hard this is for you, but you're doing such a tremendous thing for your kids. I know being away from them it doesn't seem like it, but you're getting set up to provide them a wonderful future. And what a role model you are to them both!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I just noticed that your "counter" thing at the bottom says your blog has been viewed 12,000+ times. Yeah... I'm probably responsible for 10,000 of them. Give or take...
Keep hangin' in there, Chris. I'll be praying for you. I know it's hard to be away from your children (despite the fact that I don't have any of my own). It's hard enough for me to go without being a preschool teacher for so long ( i know it's not the same in comparison), but focus on the long term goals, they will payoff for all of you in the end. Your kids are so blessed to have you as their mom, whether you're there all day or not. Love ya! -Erin
ReplyDelete