This particular entry is from July 11th.
Erin Lomeli is one of those family friends that's been there so long, and fits in so well, you forget she's not blood related. We're a very lucky group to have her as an honorary member of our family. She's one of the sweetest, most wonderful, giving, loving people that I know. Truly. I look up to her in many ways.
This entry is about her great idea. As a member of our family, she's at all family events - from holidays, to reunions, to random celebrations that just seem to pop up in a big family. She noticed, though, that the cousins never just get together and hang out. It's kinda strange just because we all get along so well, and we're all pretty close in age. Anyway, it was her idea to plan a cousins' night of wine, bbq, and poker. If you know my family, these things make a beautiful blend. We all had so much fun! It was neat to kind of switch things up in this way. I mean, I adore my aunts, but it was just a different dynamic having a family gathering without that generation. Kinda cool.
Here are just several of bookoo pictures from the night:
Erin, Teresa and Michelle
The Groseta boys - Stephen, Patrick and Tony
Katie and Eric Peters
Eric and his brother, Tim
Justin (lovin' picture-time) and Teresa
Poker!!
"the girls" of my family
Michelle and Ryan (I love how well Ryan fits in with Michelle and Daniel.)
Me and my love
Okay, for this one I said, "Give me a good laughing picture." Katie - Great! Teresa - not so much (as evaluated by Michelle's expression).
And here, Michelle got Teresa laughing for real when she did her "Teresa pretending to laugh" impression
Katie, Michelle and Teresa
Katie and Justin (I get the impression his expression was somehow making fun of me and my camera - rude!)
Teresa and Mickey - Kids just flock to this girl. She's so good with them.
The Peters Girls - Emma and Mary. A picture of innocence.
One of my favorites from the evening, Ryan with Mary. I'll tell you. I know with my whole heart and soul that I do not have it in me to mother the six girls it took to bring about this family. My grandma, God rest her soul, had seven girls in ten years. Her third, Kathy, died at the age of two. Between the other six, Lucy, Terri, Francie, MaryBeth, Barbara and Anne (my mom) there were 16 grandkids. Between the 16 of us, there have been added: 8 spouses (and one more soon - hooray for Teresa and Billy!) and 15 great grandchildren. And, my cousin's daughter, Melissa (one of the greats) will be the first to start the next generation, with a little girl. Her baby shower is this Saturday.
I think, sometimes, about Grandma looking down and smiling at all of us. I don't know how she had the strength within her to be all that it takes to be even the mother of one - to seven, but I am glad God gave her the grace. It has been such a wonderful gift in my life to be blessed with such a big family.






Makes me miss all of yall... great pics Chris
ReplyDeleteI love big families!!!
ReplyDeleteP.S. When I think of Stephen Grosetta, I think of the little 4-year-old who beat the pants off everyone in Balderdash. What happened to that little kid???