So, for a while now Ryan and I have been looking to invest in a good, solid swingset that will serve us well for both kids. Every family needs something like that, right? Well, of course Costco has helped to set our standard higher than that of our parents. No longer is the metal tube A-frame with two black swings acceptable. If you've ever been in Costco you know what I am referring to. It's right in the entryway where every parent passes it thinking, "I would have LOVED that when I was a kid!" So, Ryan's searched and searched Craigslist. The best deal we found was for that exact set, used, for $400. Everyone else wanted $600 or more. (This may seem extreme, but Costco sells it new for $1200. I'm not kidding. Our parents' generation is laughing hysterically at the idea that children might 'need' such a thing. In our defense, we have two children that still have several years of swingset ages ahead of them, and their grandparents, Mimi and Grampy Bill, helped with the cost as part of Brooklynn's birthday gift.)
Anyway, Toys R Us has what I initially thought was the same set. Upon reflection, maybe it's just similar. It's normally $500 but on sale for $399. So, we bought it. Maybe the difference in cost from Costco comes in the set up? I don't know if Costco's needs to be assembled, but the one we bought does.
Following are what it looks like
now:








According top the box it takes 20 man hours. Ryan has a buddy coming over tonight and tomorrow (and Saturday). I will be timing it all, so we'll see. I think it looks more like it'll take closer to twenty weeks.
I'll update with the finished product. Don't hold your breath.
What dad's will do for their kids. :)
Fun! Good luck.
ReplyDeleteAnd the Costco one does need to be assembled. And it says it takes about 20 hrs. too. It took my Friends husband (who is VERY HANDY) three days to get the thing up.
Good luck! And take pictures. Your kids will love it.
That's the dumbest slide I've ever seen. Mickey does not seem to be having too much fun "sliding" on it... :o)
ReplyDeleteYou forgot to add into your calculations that Collin has MANY swing set years still ahead of him, as do Payson and Kennadi. Between the 5 of them, they'll TOTALLY swing/slide/play $399 worth!